Friday, November 21, 2008

Twilight: The Movie

Certain that the Cherry Hill Loews Theater would be an absolute mad house similar to that of opening night of any Harry Potter movie, I convinced Mike that we should leave at 11:00 for the midnight showing of Twilight last night. We arrived at the theater and not a soul was outside. I was surprised but figured that 32 degree weather would keep sixteen year old girls inside. So we headed in and were again surprised that the lobby was practically empty and the concession stand lines were only two or three people deep. My last thought was that everyone was inside the theaters already and we would have trouble finding a seat. I was wrong again. We sat dead center and were probably two of maybe forty people in the theater.

The seats behind us filled up as midnight approached but I was shocked that only a dozen or so people occupied the nine rows in front of us.

The theater in Cherry Hill was sold out and girls began lining up as early noon in San Francisco. I don't get it. Mike's theory is that it was bitter cold and a lot of girls probably bought their tickets without their parents permission and then weren't allowed to go. Maybe. The lack of teenage girl frenzy was still strange to me.

I enjoyed the movie very much. Especially Edward's entrance - I love how we got our first peek at him through a window as he headed towards the cafeteria. Those few seconds spent waiting for a clear view of him were very exciting. I also thought the chemistry between Pattinson and Stewart was excellent - their passion for one another was palpable. Overall, it was as good as it could possibly be within the constraints of book to movie adaptation.

Mike didn't care for it. I checked out Rotten Tomatoes and they summed it up well, "Having lost much of its bite transitioning to the big screen, Twilight will please its devoted fans, but do little for the uninitiated."

Another great thing about the movie is that we got to see the Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince trailer on the big screen. Now I just have to wait until July for that one.

No comments: