Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Happy New Year!

2008 is off to a great start. I think I may actually succeed in quitting smoking this time too. It's looking pretty damn good.

Christmas was nice. New Years was pleasant. I've been working out and eating right and overall, feel much calmer. Mike went to San Francisco for a few days with his three best friends leaving me a few days to really focus on enjoying a smoke-free environment and exercise. I had a blast. Every night I drank tea in bed and wrote in a journal which I hadn't done in many years. It is so much better than this!

Sorry, blogger, you're great too. I meant no offense.

Probably the biggest highlight was Saturday afternoon. I jogged three miles and then went home and did some pilates and yoga. I was so relaxed I was almost falling asleep on my mat. So I finished up and changed out of my wet clothes. I was still very cold so I got under the covers and just laid there breathing. I never fell asleep. I remained conscience in my consistent ignoring of the silly little chores calling me out of bed. I just laid there, warm and in a little comfort cocoon of body and mind. When I finally decided it was ok to get up, it was an hour and half later. I was shocked, but not upset. It was an amazing experience. I finally was able to turn my mind off.

I love yoga. I love breathing.

Mike started working in his new place today. He said it took him 18 minutes to get to work and there's a chance he'll now be home before me. I think exercise is contagious because he asked if he could use the exercise bike after I'm done today. I think the commute really was just slowly killing him and now he realizes he can actually do things after work like normal people.

School starts next week. I am not excited about that and have enjoyed having the past month off. It's only 15 weeks then school's out for summer. I can do anything for 15 weeks. And I actually am a little excited. Just not a lot.

Here's an excellent winter recipe for some fantastic no guilt potato leek soup that I actually can remember:

1 lb leeks, tough greens removed, thoroughly cleaned and diced (4-5 leeks)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
Kosher salt
1 qt. organic low sodium vegetable broth
14 oz yukon gold potatoes, peeled, diced small

Melt butter in a soup pot or whatever you want to use to make soup in, add leeks and a generous sprinkling of kosher salt, cook on medium/high heat for 4 -5 minutes.

Turn heat to medium/low and sweat leeks for about 15 minutes. They'll be super soft.

Add broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes, until potatoes are very tender.

Take soup off the heat and blend with an immersion blender. Enjoy.

*This recipe originally called for buttermilk and heavy cream to be added at the end. I found that after I blended the soup, the potatoes made the soup plenty creamy so why add the fat.

I could go on about how positive the new year seems but I don't want to bore you. Just trust me.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

It all sounds great! I definitely need to update--I haven't looked at my "blog" in ages...I guess I just haven't had the energy/motivation to update because it's all so major. But, the New Year's so far looking very positive on my end, too. Anyway, that recipe sounds awesome; I love potato and leek soup. Talk to you soon!

Kirk said...

re: smoking

this should gross you out.

my parents, my dad in particular smoke. my dad smokes like 4 packs a day. if i go over to thier house for 2 minutes i stink like smoke. its gross.

The other day i need to get some reciepts for some stuff they got me. they had them up stuck in the kitchen doorway frame. they'd been up there since just after xmas.

when i got them they were dry, crinkly and yellow. when i got home meg said "what stinks?" it was those reciepts... they reaked like cigarettes. i bet you could roll em up and get a buzz from smoking them.

so nasty.

quit. :)