Tuesday, September 16, 2008

New tat, new book

I went out northwest Sunday to get some more work done on my arm. It went well. I haven't gotten around to taking any pictures yet but I will soon. Larry covered all the pink rays on the left side of my angel with blue and he finally made it around to the underside of my arm that was still blank and added the rest of the rays. He also added in some branches along the back. It's so nice having some of that filled in finally. I think I have only 2-3 sessions left, the last one being final touches and no real work.

I'm still obsessively reading the Twilight books. I am now on the third, Eclipse. I've been distracted and emotional and feeling a little ridiculous, but I'm enjoying something tremendously so I think I'm ok. At least now I know I'm fine because last night I met Jessica.

Jessica sits in front of me in my Monday night Child Psychology class. Last week was our first class and somehow or another the Twilight books came up and I had just started reading the first book and had it with me so I raised it into the air and confessed I was already totally hooked. End of story.

Fast forward to this week. Class was good and we wrapped up. I stood to gather my things and before I could pick up my notebook a girl had come over to me like she had been shot out of a cannon, "You like Twilight, right?!"

"Yes!"

"Oh my God. I remember from last week." talking a mile a minute "Please don't think I'm crazy, but I don't know if you know, but Stephenie Meyer released all the playlists from all the music she listened to while she wrote the books and (opening her messenger bag) I burned you a copy!"

"Wow! Thank you so much!"

"You're welcome. You know what last week was, right?"

"Um, I just started reading the books last week - I don't really know."

"Ah! IT WAS BELLA'S BIRTHDAY!" Taking out her camera and scrolling throuhg photos. "We had a birthday party for her!" Showing me pictures.

"You guys replicated the whole birthday party from Twilight!?" I said with equal parts awe, excitment, pity, and envy. The cake was the same, the decorations, everything!

"Yep. Obsessed isn't even the word." The she leaned in close to me and pulled the skin down away from her eye. Golden amber. I guess the look on my face said it all so she just nodded in confirmation. She was wearing contacts to make her eyes the same color as Edward's.

We somehow made it outside rambling back and forth like two teens confessing our love of Edward Cullen, how we cried, how obsessed we've been. Jessica, we eventually got to an introduction, confessed she didn't eat while reading the books last year.

It was like a tornado of conversation - there was too much to say in too short a time. Me so excited to meet a fan and she so excited to meet a newborn to the series. She told me she'd burn the remaining three playlists and cautioned me not to listen to each one until I finished the book it went with. I told her I'd most likely be done by next class.

Then, because I couldn't help myself, I asked her if the books had a happy ending. And she just looked at me and even if it was just a second, it was the longest she had gone without talking. She finally said something like, "Can it?"

So I revised. "Am I going to want to commit suicide?"

"I'm still here" is all she said and that was good enough for me. If this contact wearing, Bella birthday party throwing fan can still talk so excitedly about the books then I'm sure it'll end well.

I just wish it didn't have to.

No comments: