Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Back to School

I'm two thirds of the way through my College application. Damn dates. When did I graduate college? A couple of years ago, that's when. Thank goodness I graduated high school in 2000. If "they" didn't make such a big tadoo about the class of 2000, I may have very well forgotten what year I graduated high school in. Some simple math helped me to determine that I started school in September of 1996.

I'm going back to school. I've kept in on the D.L. because I'm sure I've had big plans and big ideas before and shouted them out and let them fall to a heap at my feet. I'm starting to leak the news. But in a very no big deal sort of way. Ah-hem, for example:

"Yeah so I've decided it's time to go back to school. "
"Really? For what?"
"For a BA in Liberal Studies. Most of my credits from my Associates in Applied Science transfer over and I can get the amount of credits I need going to school at night and in about three years."
"What school?"
"Rutgers University - Camden. It's close by and dead center between work in Philly and home."
"That's good."
"Thanks."

That's about it. I really love working for a non-profit and I'd like to be a program director (decision maker) in a non-profit. Preferably, an environmental non-profit. I think I'd like that. My degree holds no weight. It was great and all and got me two of my last three jobs, but now I'm as far as I can go in this field.

So I don't know if it's a matter of "getting in". I've just been supplying information and I need to dig out some old records for the rest of it. I checked off I'm applying for the fall but I was thinking more like next spring. I figured I'd just fill out the application and take it from there. I need to check out financial aid. I requested my transcripts yesterday.

Wish me luck though. I'm super excited. School just seems so purposeful. I really can't imagine feeling like "waa waa I'm not doing anything *tear. Waaa" when I'm in school. A real college grad. My mom really played down my whole Associates thing. I didn't go to a "real college" or get a "real degree". She really hurt my feelings. I worked hard as hell for that degree and I graduated with a 3.97 gpa damnit!

But my bro kind of set the bar on the whole college thing. He set it pretty high too. Really high. I can't blame her for comparing the two experiences.

Anywho, I'm giving myself until next Wednesday to get the application in and hunt down all the records that got moved in the move.

We shall see.

No comments: