Monday, May 15, 2006

Not fair

Last night I ran in to my local convenience store to grab some cheese popcorn and was rather suprised from the sign taped all over the counter. ATTENTION: As of April 15, 2006, no one under the age of 19 will be allowed to purchase cigarettes, tobacco, blah blah blah. 19! How did this slip by me! Probably because I'm not affected by this ammended law but damn, I can't believe I didn't hear anything. No one said anything.

I think it's great. I wish cigarettes were illegal all together. Sucks for the smokers who are eighteen though and had been buying cigarettes legally until 4/15. My whole thing is that they're going to get their smokes one way or another; they just may be slightly more inconvenienced now. I think this is just a new NJ law?

Anyhow, so how's this for consistency?

18th birthday - I can now die for my country in a horrible place in a war I may not understand far from home.
18th birthday - I can vote for a liberal and pray he gets 5% of the vote in order to be granted federal funding to run again in four years.
19th birthday - Yay, I can buy cigarettes!
21st birthday - Boo ya I'm getting wasted tonight!

Am I the only one who sees something wrong with this? If it were all 18, we'd be screwed. 21 year old drunks are bad enough. If it were all 21, we'd lose too many votes and damn, some people really are well on their way to adulthood and it would not be fair.

I say, make everything 19 1/2! To go to war, to drink, to smoke. Hey, people may even start using fractions when referring to their age again and that would be a nifty bonus!

Consistency, people! CONSISTENCY!!!!!

No comments: